Sunday, November 29, 2015

Critical Reflection - The Role of Peer and Tutor Feedback


At first when I knew I had to attend another “English” module in the university, I thought it was a little burdensome as I am not a fan of English writing courses ever since I took it during my 3 years in the polytechnic. I guess as an engineering student, it is natural to think that there is no need to master writing skills because engineering would be full of formulas and technical matters. Little did I realize the importance of good writing and communication especially for engineers, because it is an essential skill to develop so that engineers can explain the technical report in clear and concise manner. Therefore, I am very glad I took the Effective Communication module in my first trimester in university.

 
The first time I received peer feedbacks in this module were for the reflection post, “My English Learning Journey”. Personally, I really like Serene’s feedback to my post. I would like to thank her for giving me many constructive comments on how I can further improve my writings. At times, I do get intimidated from peer feedbacks for my writing because I thought I would get affected by the criticism my friends gave. However, the feedbacks I received made me more meticulous on my grammar and sentence structures.

 
Of course, I really appreciate Brad’s comments on every essay I wrote. He gave specific remarks on my writings and furthermore, he would give several sources online so that we can learn to write better for the report. Brad’s feedbacks on my essays are helpful because it allows me to understand what went wrong especially my tendency to use “hence”.  Now, I try to refrain from using hence and I find other alternative for suitable transition words and use appropriate vocabulary in my sentences.

 
Every student in SIT should take Effective Communication course because it builds up the foundation for writing skills and allow students to practice writing reports with proper citations according to the APA Style. I will definitely apply the skills that I have learnt, such as writing in APA style, for future reports for other modules. 

The 2 oral presentations that I did in this module have definitely build up my confidence level to present to public after a long time of not presenting. It helps me to take note about the important techniques to deliver a  good presentation such as having a good stand and good eye contact with the public. I will put in mind these points when I present in the future for other modules' presentations.


- 29 Nov 2015, 7:50pm
- Edited on 09 Dec 2015, 10:30am

5 comments:

  1. Hey Mardhy,

    Great way of writing on your idea of the role of peers and tutor feedback,
    I definitely agree on how it can be intimidating to know that your peers are going to comment on your writing skills especially if you know your language skills are not 'perfect' . I believe its okay to always accept other's feedbacks and not take it to seriously even though if its given in a 'negative' context, because the only way to improve is to know where you went wrong!

    I hope to see us both applying what we have learnt for the past 12 weeks in all our future reports and assignments! We definitely have learnt quite a lot from Brad's classes.

    Cheers,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like you, I dread on the thought that I will be taking another ' English ' module as I am not that good myself. However, I'm sure that we have both benefited a lot from this class right? I think we should be open to receive any kind of comments, be it good or bad. That way we can know the types of mistakes we made and also the stuffs that we did well.


    Radhi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mar.

    I feel the same way about getting peer feedback! It's nerve-racking trying to imagine what they have to say about you. Nonetheless, the good and bad feedback we have to take and use them to improve ourselves.

    Goodluck for your exams Marrrr :>
    Nurul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mardhiy, for this critical reflection on SIE2016 and the nature of feedback. You do a good job of introducing the idea of feedback and then reviewing what you did in SIE2016 and how you felt about that. My only question now is this: How might your experience with peer and tutor feedback this term inform your writing (or speaking) in future modules in terms of you then checking whether some assignment is done well?

    That aside, I’d like to thank you for all your fine efforts this term, and I wish you the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad for the wish and feedback! :D I've also edited a little on this post :)
      Thank you~

      Yours sincerely,
      siti mardhiyyah

      Delete