Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Someone who influenced me

Someone who influenced me?  I would say it is none other than my older siblings.  The 3 of us are 6 years apart from each other.  My brother was born in 1982, my sister was born in 1988 and I was born in 1994. Despite the huge age difference, the bond between us is really strong.  First, I am going to talk about my brother.   When I was a little girl, my brother dotes on me a lot. Even though I am a girl, my brother and I would often play shooting guns and ball games in the house. Sometimes, we would play rough games with each other like “wrestling”.   My brother was very strict and overly protective towards his 2 little sisters.  He would scold my sister and I if we came back home late at night, and going to chalet for any class outing was an impossible thing to do. 

At the age of 21, I embarked on a new journey of my life and that is; entering the university. The first 2 weeks in the university was REALLY tough for me.  It was hard to adjust to the fast paced of college life and on top of the assignments that keeps on piling up, I had to babysit my 6 year old niece and 4 year old nephew. This was because my brother and his wife went for a backpacking trip in Europe for 2 weeks. It was those 2 hellish weeks that I went through which made me realized how tough it was for my brother when he was pursuing for his degree.

Right after completing his diploma, my brother worked as a security guard at Suntec City and earns $50 a day.  Even with his little earnings, he saved up as much as he could to buy a new television to replace the old fashioned TV which was big and heavy.  After nearly a year or so, my brother got a stable job in a government state board as a career consultant.  My brother realized that he needs to upgrade himself in order to keep up with fast paced competitive life in Singapore.  He applied a part-time degree in business course in Singapore Institute of Management (SIM).   The journey towards his degree wasn’t smooth sailing as he had to juggle with his family, his career and being a student.  Finally after 3 years of hard work and dedication, he graduated on 16 October 2013 (which also falls on my birthday hehe).  My brother definitely motivates me to not give up even though the journey in University is tough.
 
My happy brother has graduated!

 
My brother and his lovely wife

 
                                                    My brother and my beloved parents

 
My niece
 

I would say my sister is more than just a sister to me. She is someone whom I cannot live without. Of course at times we had our bad days and it is normal for sisters to fight.   Back in secondary school days she was in the technical stream and managed to secure a seat in the normal academic stream.  After completing her o-levels, she entered Ngee Ann polytechnic in maritime offshore technology. She made the family even more proud by entering NTU, majored in mechanical engineering. I witnessed how hard she struggled for the degree and it really touching to see how much she endured on when she feels like giving up.  Even with a degree, finding a job was quite a challenge for her. After 6 months, she joined in a company which she needs to serve for 2 years. She was really reluctant at first, but she took the job eventually because she feels that it would make her gain a lot of experience. After completing the 2 year bond she now landed in another company and is coping quite well with it.
I would like to thank my sister for always be there for me whenever I need someone to talk to about my problems. I thank her for tolerating my moody self at home.  I also like to thank her for supporting me financially when I need some extra allowance. She even bought a laptop for me to use it for university as my old laptop is spoilt.  Thank you for being my partner in crime for all the impulse overseas concert trips. I love you sister!!!  
 
Kitty (her nickname I gave) has graduated from NTU

 
concert trip with Kitty in Jakarta

 
Concert trip with Kitty in Seoul

 
Selamat Hari Raya from the sisters <3

 
 

3 comments:

  1. This is a great "family album", Mardhi. I really like the closeness that comes across in this post as you present info on your siblings and, less directly, your parents. It's clear that you kids have all made your parents very proud!

    Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mard,

    It is nice that you are so close to your siblings even when the age gap is so big. The fact that both your siblings got their degrees only means that you can do it too. So do not let the 'tough uni life' (I am sure you will cope well) bring you down. Face difficulties with the smile that is always on your face (hah pun) and you will do fine.

    Sincerely,
    Xue Yuan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mardy bum again
    Great family photo album
    Glad to know your siblings manage to inspire you, I wonder how that feels because I only have one younger brother and we kinda quarrel a lot hahah! It's really nice to know you can count on your siblings to always be there for you! :)
    All the best in Uni and I believe with perseverance and determination we will manage to pull through the tough Uni life and graduate and be degree holders :)
    Hugs and kisses
    Pie

    ReplyDelete